Masculine Conversations

Masculine Conversations

Monday, July 7, 2014

Looking for insects


Here's a random picture from a couple of days ago when I was out looking for more insects in the abundant Texas wildflowers. These particular flowers were a little past their prime, so the bugs were scarce, but I have found that almost every growing thing will have an insect or two on it if you look long enough.

After a bit of searching, I found a nice red and black flea beetle (a Shiny Flea Beetle; Asphaera Lustrans), and nabbed him in the net. Those flea beetles are rather wily. They have massive back legs bowed under them and ready at all times to blast off into an incredibly long jump if disturbed (hence the name).

Much to my chagrin, this post could also be called "collecting chiggers"! It seems that Texan chiggers just love the sight of a juicy leg from up north. Rather like an exotic steak, I suppose. Anyway, these chiggers took good advantage of their opportunity, and I soon found myself quite the itchy unit!

Since the last sighting, I haven't had another chance at one of those Tarantula Hawk wasps, but I'll keep looking...

- Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment